There are many reasons that people choose to seek therapy. Whether it’s due to depression, anxiety, coping with loss, or resolving relational conflicts, it is a very personal decision and often a monumental step towards growth. This makes choosing a therapist the next important step. This may sometimes be a lengthy process, but finding the right therapist can play a critical role in your journey.
5 Guidelines for Finding a Great Therapist
- Research the training and experience of several potential therapists. This may seem self-evident, but often the initial research is passed by in the rush to set up an appointment. It’s important to look look into whether or not they have obtained their license, how long they have been practicing, and what they specialize in (ex: children, families, trauma, etc.).
- Consider whether or not the gender of your therapist is important to you. Depending on your situation, you may feel more comfortable working with a man or a woman. Many people do well working with either but if you have a strong preference go with your instinct. The best therapy sessions occur when you can feel at ease.
- Work with someone who understands and respects your worldview. If you have deeply held religious or philosophical beliefs, it may be beneficial to share them with your therapist. They can use these to help you accomplish your goals while maintaining integrity with yourself.
- First impressions are often telling. When you make your initial telephone call are you greeted by a recording, or a helpful person? Do you end your phone call wondering when/if someone will return your call? Do you prefer being greeted by a warm and informative person? A person eager and able to answer any questions and provide assistance to understand the process to setting up an initial appointment.
- A good therapist creates a space where you can be vulnerable. Ultimately, the best way to know if someone is the right therapist for you is by attending a therapy session. A good therapist is attentive, listens well, and makes you feel understood.
Philly Family Life Counseling in Northeast Philadelphia
Our team at Philly Family Life Counseling, located in Northeast Philadelphia, is committed to accompanying you through your personal journey. Schedule an appointment online or, if you call (215) 677-3810, a live person will welcome you between the weekday hours of 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM.